“No one lights a lamp and puts it in a place where it will be hidden, or under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, so that those who come in may see the light.” Matthew 11:33 (NIV)
Please find below a collection of writings as it pertains to constitutional and electoral reform matters as expressed by some of our preeminent lawyers in our Federation and in the wider Caribbean.
In this information age, I was surprised that this information was not readily available in an archive for our citizens at home and in the diaspora to read, discuss and share, as we together help create a better and brighter nation.
The events in the past weeks has brought to the fore the issue of Independence for Nevis on the SKNList, and I have endeavoured to use my blog site as a clearing house to help collect the pertinent documents and expert opinions and share it with others.
The authors of the Task Force Document recommended that the document be shared with the public, and in this light, to help develop goodwill and understanding of the issues involved, I hope this would be a catalyst in this regard.
I am very grateful to those who were kind enough to share what documents they have on the matter. If there are any sources that you think should be added, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I will add them to the collection here.
Please feel free to comment and share with others. (Please click on the links below to view the documents).
- In Place of Strife: The Constitutional Development of St. Kitts and Nevis : Green Paper Published by the St. Kitts-Nevis-Anguilla Labour Party (Workers League) – 2 August 1982
- Lee Moore Friendship Treaty – 23 November 1982
- The General Election in St Kitts and Nevis: The Report of the Commonwealth Observer Group – 3 July 1995
- The Road to Constitutional Reform “Embracing All” – St. Kitts-Nevis Labour Party Position Paper – May 1998
- Comments on Aspects of The Sir Fred Phillips’ Commission Report On St. Christopher and Nevis of July 1988 by Dr. Neville C. Duncan – August 1998
- Discussion Paper on the Document Entitled ‘Constitution Reform for St. Kitts and Nevis: Some Issues for Consideration’ – PROPOSED FORM AND STRUCTURE OF GOVERNMENT – 9 June, 1999
- Report of A Constitution Task Force Appointed by the Government of St. Kitts and Nevis – Chaired by Sir. Fred Phillips CVO QC – July 1999
- Joint Communique from Meeting of Federal Assembly and Nevis Island Assembly – 18 February 2003
- Political Party and Campaign Financing in St. Kitts and Nevis – Sir Fred Phillips – 2004
- White Paper – New Electoral Reform Framework – August 2006
- Paper on Aspects of Electoral Reform – Charles L Wilkin QC and J Emile Ferdinand QC – 21 August 2007
- Report of the Commonwealth Expert team — St.Kitts Nevis General Election – January 2010
- FINAL REPORT OF THE OAS ELECTORAL OBSERVATION MISSION FOR THE GENERAL ELECTIONS IN THE FEDERATION OF SAINT KITTS AND NEVIS ON JANUARY 25, 2010