In Conversation: Jeremy Lent and David Korten
Reproduced from: http://davidkorten.org/in-conversation-jeremy-lent-and-david-korten/
This conversation was recorded on Feb. 25, 2018, at Eagle Harbor Book Company on Bainbridge Island, WA. Jeremy Lent is the author of The Patterning Instinct: A Cultural History of Humanity’s Search for Meaning (Prometheus Books, 2017).
The video has been organized as a series of 13 short, 2- to 6-minute clips, with a reading from the book by Jeremy and comments from David (#1 and #2), followed by discussion between Jeremy and David on a variety of related topics (see list below).
- Jeremy reads from his book, The Patterning Instinct
- David comments on Jeremy’s book
- Jeremy and David discuss…”Can we shift culture rapidly enough?”
- The cultural foundations of China’s Ecological Civilization
- How non-Western cultures emphasize human connectedness
- Recognizing our place in the Living Earth
- The perils, delusions, and hope of modern technology
- Human nature as fundamentally community oriented
- Learning from other cultures – without idealizing them
- What is the most important message you can offer to humanity?
- Does human history show moral progress?
- Are humans really unique in nature?
- What could a non-dualistic approach to technology look like?