Supplementary Material References
- NCD Risk Factor Collaboration. Worldwide trends in children’s and adolescents’ body mass index, underweight, overweight and obesity, in comparison with adults, from 1975 to 2016: a pooled analysis of 2,416 population-based measurement studies with 128.9 million children, adolescents, and adults. Lancet. 2017;390(10113):2627-42.
- The World Bank Group. CO2 emissions (kt) 2018 [cited 2018 13 Feb]. Available from:
- The World Bank Group. GDP per capita, PPP (constant 2011 international $) 2018 [cited 2018 13 Feb]. Available from:
- The World Bank Group. GINI index (World Bank estimate) 2018 [cited 2018 13 Feb]. Available from:
- Phalkey RK, Aranda-Jan C, Marx S, Hofle B, Sauerborn R. Systematic review of current efforts to quantify the impacts of climate change on undernutrition. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112(33):E4522-9.
- Kraak VI, Swinburn B, Lawrence M, Harrison P. An accountability framework to promote healthy food environments. Public Health Nutrition. 2014;17(11):2467-83.
- Swinburn B, Kraak V, Rutter H, Vandevijvere S, Lobstein T, Sacks G, et al. Strengthening of accountability systems to create healthy food environments and reduce global obesity. The Lancet. 2015;385(9986):2534-45.
- The University of Auckland. INFORMAS Monitoring Framework 2016 [2 September 2016]. Available from:
- Department of Health. Public Health Responsibility Deal: Department of Health; 2011 [16 August 2016]. Available from:
- Lansley A. The role of business in public health. The Lancet. 2011;377(9760):121.
- Thaler RH, Sunstein CR. Nudge: Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth and Happiness. London, England: Penguin Books; 2009.
- Royal College of Physicians. Key health organisations do not sign up to responsibility deal 2011 [16 August 2016]. Available from:
- Knai C, Petticrew M, Durand MA, Scott C, James L, Mehrotra A, et al. The Public Health Responsibility deal: has a public–private partnership brought about action on alcohol reduction? Addiction. 2015;110(8):1217-25.
- Knai C, Petticrew M, Durand MA, Eastmure E, Mays N. Are the Public Health Responsibility Deal alcohol pledges likely to improve public health? An evidence synthesis. Addiction. 2015;110(8):1232-46.
- Knai C, Petticrew M, Durand MA, Eastmure E, James L, Mehrotra A, et al. Has a public– private partnership resulted in action on healthier diets in England? An analysis of the Public Health Responsibility Deal food pledges. Food Policy. 2015;54:1-10.
- Durand MA, Petticrew M, Goulding L, Eastmure E, Knai C, Mays N. An evaluation of the Public Health Responsibility Deal: Informants’ experiences and views of the development, implementation and achievements of a pledge-based, public–private partnership to improve population health in England. Health Policy. 2015;119(11):1506-14.
- Knai C, Petticrew M, Scott C, Durand MA, Eastmure E, James L, et al. Getting England to be more physically active: are the Public Health Responsibility Deal’s physical activity pledges the answer? International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity. 2015;12(1):1-13.
- Petticrew M, Douglas N, Knai C, Durand MA, Eastmure E, Mays N. Health information on alcoholic beverage containers: has the alcohol industry’s pledge in England to improve labelling been met? Addiction. 2016;111(1):51-5.
- Public Health England. National Diet and Nutrition Survey: results from years 5 and 6 (combined) 2016 [19 September 2016]. Available from:
- Public Health England. National Diet and Nutrition Survey: assessment of dietary sodium 2014. Available from:
- HM Government. Childhood obesity: a plan for action [Internet]. Department of Health; 2016. Available from:
- Department of Health. Responsibility Deal Celebration Event. 2015.
- Committee of Advertising Practice. Consultation: food and soft drink advertising to children 2016. Available from:
- Sustain. Junk free checkouts campaign 2013; [webpage]. Available from:
- The Guardian. Tesco bans sweets from checkouts in all stores 2014 [19 September 2016]. Available from:
- HM Revenue & Customs, HM Treasury. Soft Drinks Industry Levy 2016. Available from:
- Panjwani C, Caraher M. The Public Health Responsibility Deal: brokering a deal for public health, but on whose terms? Health Policy. 2014;114(2):163-73.
- MacGregor GA, Feng JH, Pompo-Rodrigues S. Food and the responsibility deal: how the salt reduction strategy was derailed. BMJ. 2015;350:h1936.
- Gornall J. Sugar’s web of influence 3: Why the responsibility deal is a “dead duck” for sugar reduction. BMJ. 2015;350:h219.
- The Guardian. Food industry ‘responsibility deal’ has little effect on health, study finds 2015 [19 September 2016]. Available from:
- The Telegraph. Manufacturers fail to reduce sugar despite ‘healthy eating’ pledge, Telegraph finds 2014 [19 September 2016]. Available from:
- Bryden A, Petticrew M, Mays N, Eastmure E, Knai C. Voluntary agreements between government and business—A scoping review of the literature with specific reference to the Public Health Responsibility Deal. Health Policy. 2013;110(2–3):186-97.
- Action on Sugar. Childhood Obesity Action Plan. 2014.
- Institute of Alcohol Studies. Dead on arrival? Evaluating the public health responsibility deal for alcohol. 2015.
- Sustain. Learning the lessons from the Responsibility Deal’s failure to tackle junk food marketing and promotion 2016. Available from:
- Which? Government must do more to tackle the obesity crisis, says Which? 2012. Available from:
- Public Health England. Sugar Reduction: Achieving the 20%. A technical report outlining progress to datem guidelines for industry, 2015 baseline levels in key foods and next steps. London, UK: Public Health England; 2017.
- Altieri MA, Companioni N, Cañizares K, Murphy CJ, Rosset P, Bourque M, et al. The greening of the “barrios”: Urban agriculture for food security in Cuba. Agric Human Values. 1999;16(2):131-40.
- Enríquez LJ. Cuba’s New Agricultural Revolution: The Transformation of Food Crop Production in Contemporary Cuba. Development Report No. 14. Food First Institute for Food and Development Policy; 2000 May.
- Murch S. The vegetable gardeners of Havana: BBC News; 2009 [updated 22 Aug; cited 2018 7 Mar ]. Available from:
- Pinderhughes RR. Urban agriculture in Havana, Cuba: San Francisco State University; 2000 [updated Mar 3 2004.; cited 2018 7 Mar]. Available from:
- Knight L, Riggs W. Nourishing urbanism: A case for a new urban paradigm. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability. 2010;8(1-2):116-26.
- Pearson LJ, Pearson L, Pearson CJ. Sustainable urban agriculture: stocktake and opportunities. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability. 2010;8(1-2):7-19.
- Frayne B, McCordic C, Shilomboleni H. Growing out of poverty: Does urban agriculture contribute to household food security in southern African cities? Urban Forum. 2014;25(2):177-89.
- Friel S. UNSCN Discussion Paper – Global Governance for Nutrition and the role of UNSCN. Rome, Italy: United Nations System Standing Committee on Nutrition; 2017.
- Hoffman SJ, Røttingen J-A, Frenk J. Assessing proposals for new global health treaties: an analytic framework. Am J Public Health. 2015;105(8):1523-30.
- Taylor A, Alfoen T, Hougendobler D, Buse K. Nonbinding Legal Instruments in Governance for Global Health: Lessons from the Global AIDS Reporting Mechanism. J Law Med Ethics. 2014;42(1):72-87.
- The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS, Unicef, World Health Organization. Global aids response progress: reporting 2014: Construction of Core Indicators for monitoring the 2011 United Nations Political Declaration on HIV and AIDS. Geneva, Switzerland: UNAIDS; 2014.
- The Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. 2014 Progress reports submitted by countries 2017 [cited 2017 19 Apr]. Available from:
- World Health Organization. Tobacco Free Initiative. Tobacco control country profiles 2017 [cited 2017 13 Feb]. Available from:
- World Health Organization. WHO report on the global tobacco epidemic 2017 2017 [cited 2017 13 Feb]. Available from:
- Donaldson E. Advocating for sugar-sweetened beverage taxation: A case study of Mexico. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins Bloomberg; 2015.
- Balarajan Y, Reich MR. Political economy of child nutrition policy: A qualitative study of India’s Integrated Child Development Services (ICDS) scheme. Food Policy. 2016;62:88-98.
- Hajeebhoy N, Rigsby A, McColl A, Sanghvi T, Abrha TH, Godana A, et al. Developing evidence-based advocacy and policy change strategies to protect, promote, and support infant and young child feeding. Food Nutr Bull. 2013;34(3 Suppl 2):S181-S94.
- Hawkes C, Brazil BG, Castro IRRd, Jaime PC. How to engage across sectors: lessons from agriculture and nutrition in the Brazilian School Feeding Program. Rev Saude Publica [Internet]. 2016;50. Epub Aug 11. Available from:
- Hawkes C, Ahern AL, Jebb SA. A stakeholder analysis of the perceived outcomes of developing and implementing England’s obesity strategy 2008–2011. BMC Public Health. 2014;14:441.
- Economos CD, Brownson RC, DeAngelis MA, Foerster SB, Foreman CT, Gregson J, et al. What lessons have been learned from other attempts to guide social change? Nutr Rev. 2001;59(3):S40-S56.
- Baker P, Gill T, Friel S, Carey G, Kay A. Generating political priority for regulatory interventions targeting obesity prevention: an Australian case study. Soc Sci Med. 2017;177:141-9.
- Craig P. Obesity and culture. In: Kopelman P, Caterson ID, Dietz WH, editors. Clinical Obesity in Adults and Children. 3rd ed. Oxford, UK.: Wiley-Blackwell; 2010. p. 41-57.
- Christopoulou-Aletra H, Papavramidou N, Pozzilli P. Obesity in the Neolithic era: a Greek female figurine. Obes Surg. 2006;16(8):1112-4.
- Rguibi M, Belahsen R. Fattening practices among Moroccan Saharawi women. East Mediterr Health J. 2006;12(5):619-24.
- Musaiger AO. Overweight and obesity in eastern mediterranean region: prevalence and possible causes. J Obes. 2011;2011:407237.
- Pollock NJ. Cultural elaborations of obesity – fattening practices in Pacific societies. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 1995;4(4):357-60.
- Micklesfield LK, Lambert EV, Hume DJ, Chantler S, Pienaar PR, Dickie K, et al. Socio-cultural, environmental and behavioural determinants of obesity in black South African women. Cardiovasc J Afr. 2013;24(9/10):369-75.
- Maupin JN, Brewis A. Food Insecurity and Body Norms among Rural Guatemalan Schoolchildren. American Anthropologist. 2014;116(2):332-7.
- Iliyasu Z, Abubakar IS, Abubakar S, Lawan UM, Gajida AU, Jibo AM. A survey of weight perception and social desirability of obesity among adults in Kano Metropolis, Northern Nigeria. Niger J Med. 2013;22(2):101-8.
- Swami V, Knight D, Tovee MJ, Davies P, Furnham A. Preferences for female body size in Britain and the South Pacific. Body Image. 2007;4(2):219-23.
- Swami V, Frederick DA, Aavik T, Alcalay L, Allik J, Anderson D, et al. The attractive female body weight and female body dissatisfaction in 26 countries across 10 world regions: results of the international body project I. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2010;36(3):309-25.
- Brockhoff M, Mussap Alexander J, Fullerâ€•Tyszkiewicz M, Mellor D, Skouteris H, McCabe Marita P, et al. Cultural differences in body dissatisfaction: Japanese adolescents compared with adolescents from China, Malaysia, Australia, Tonga, and Fiji. Asian Journal of Social Psychology. 2016;19(4):385-94.
- Prioreschi AA-Ohoo, Wrottesley SV, Cohen E, Reddy A, Said-Mohamed R, Twine R, et al. Examining the relationships between body image, eating attitudes, BMI, and physical activity in rural and urban South African young adult females using structural equation modeling. (1932-6203 (Electronic)).
- McHiza ZJ, Parker WA, Makoae M, Sewpaul R, Kupamupindi T, Labadarios D. Body image and weight control in South Africans 15 years or older: SANHANES-1. BMC Public Health. 2015;15:992.
- Pedro TM, Micklesfield LK, Kahn K, Tollman SM, Pettifor JM, Norris SA. Body Image Satisfaction, Eating Attitudes and Perceptions of Female Body Silhouettes in Rural South African Adolescents. PLoS One. 2016;11(5):e0154784.
- Okop KJ, Mukumbang FC, Mathole T, Levitt N, Puoane T. Perceptions of body size, obesity threat and the willingness to lose weight among black South African adults: a qualitative study. BMC Public Health. 2016;16:365.
- Gray JJ, Ginsberg RL. Muscle Dissatisfaction: An Overview of Psychological and Cultural Research and Theory. In: Thompson JK, Cafri G, editors. The muscular ideal: Psychological, social, and medical perspectives. Washington, D.C.: American Psychological Association; 2007. p. 15-39.
- Healthy Together Victoria. Healthy Together Victoria [cited 2017 19 Dec]. Available from:
- Strugnell C, Millar L, Churchill A, Jacka F, Bell C, Malakellis M, et al. Healthy together Victoria and childhood obesity – a methodology for measuring changes in childhood obesity in response to a community-based, whole of system cluster randomized control trial. Archives of Public Health. 2016;74:16.
- Strugnell C, Orellana L, Hayward J, Millar L, Swinburn B, Allender S. Active (Opt-In) Consent Underestimates Mean BMI-z and the Prevalence of Overweight and Obesity Compared to Passive (Opt-Out) Consent. Evidence from the Healthy Together Victoria and Childhood Obesity Study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2018;15(4).
- Allender S, Owen B, Kuhlberg J, Lowe J, Nagorcka-Smith P, Whelan J, et al. A Community Based Systems Diagram of Obesity Causes. PLoS One. 2015;10(7):e0129683.